My husband and I both enjoy soup especially as the weather starts to get cooler. When I had originally found this recipe it was to have been as good as Olive Gardens Pasta E Fagioli soup. I love Olive Gardens pasta fagioli soup so I had to try this one. I have made a lot of tweeks to the recipe and it still does not taste like Olive Gardens, but I think it is a good hearty soup and easy to make. I hope you enjoy it.
Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can beef broth
- 1 12-ounce can V-8 juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 pound (1/2 pkg.) ditali pasta
- Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
- About 50 minutes into the simmering, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
- Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more and serve.
This soup tastes great with my French Rolls. I have also updated my roll recipe so that you can now enjoy a multi-grain version.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Here is the printable version of it – Pasta e Fagioli Soup
PS. A pot of soup makes a lot of meals so more time for painting. 🙂