For me Memorial Day is the official start of picnic season and with that comes grilling and yummy salads. One of my husbands favorite salad is my bean salad. It is easy to make, keeps well and is full of healthy things.
We normally use it as a side, but sometimes I will make us a regular salad with lettuce, carrots, etc. and then add the bean salad to the top.
Here is the recipe:
- One 14.5 oz. can green beans
- One 14.5 oz. can yellow beans
- One 14.5 oz. can kidney beans
- One 14.5 oz. can northern beans
Rinse and drain beans and place in a large bowl. Add:
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper. (I use whatever color I have)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- Cooked pasta ( I start with 1 cup uncooked)
Whisk together in a small bowl or shake in a small covered jar:
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup tarragon vinegar or red wine vinegar (I used red wine)
- ½ cup sugar (recipe calls for ¾ cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Serve cold
Hope you enjoy it!
Printable PDF Bean Salad Recipe
Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all those who fought and are still fighting for our freedom.
PS. Thought I would share a few pictures of my father in uniform. He served in WW2. He is the short guy in the middle with the dark full head of hair and smile on his face.
These were taken when he was home on leave. He was thirty-five and single when he went into the service. He did not marry until he was 43, and he was 46 when I was born.
Here he is with his sisters, Sid and Greta. These were three very special people in my life, they all loved me unconditionally. I miss them.