- Quikwood is a two part resin. When mixed together you have about 20 minutes of open time before it begins to cure. It will fully cure in 24 hours.
- Only cut off as much as you need at a time.
- Make sure it is thoroughly mixed together (no swirls of color) or it will not cure.
- Do not wear jewelry especially rings when working with QW.
- Apply Avon Silicone Glove before starting and as needed when working with the QW.
- Use DecoArt Extender to blend QW being careful not to use too much or it will make your QW gummy.
Video on Quikwood Basics:
- To make the angel pin cut 1/4″ QW, and for the Santa and Snowman cut 3/8″ each.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper over the pattern and place the ball of clay in the center. Using a little extender and the palm of your hand flatten the clay and fill the pattern keeping the center higher than the sides. Allow to cure.
Video for getting started:
Cutting Stars for Ornaments
- Since we are going to make a number of stars cut 1/4″ of QW and flatten using palm of hand.
- Start with the largest of the Kemper star tools. Dip it in a little oil and then cut the largest of the stars. Remove the excess clay, mix and flatten and make the next size stars. Continue until you have used most of the clay. Allow to cure and wipe off excess oil.
Video for cutting stars using Kemper star cutters:
Making Noses for Pins:
- Cut a sliver of QW and divide in 3. For the angel and Santa roll into a cone shape and attach to face. Nose should start just below center of head and go up to forehead. Use fingers to press and blend nose as needed. Use blade to flatten bottom of nose.
- For the Snowman nose roll a cone shape and place widest part of cone in the center of the face, and face up and to the right. Keep the end of the cone lifted off the face. Allow to cure.
Video for making noses:
To Make the Angel Wings:
- Cut 1/2″ of QW and divide in 2. Lay pattern over the wing shape that looks like a watermelon slice. Roll clay into a cone that is pointy at both ends. Lay on pattern and press to fill in shape using extender if needed.
- Move project over pattern that has the feathers on the wings. Divide the clay in two and pull off a small ball of clay about 1/4″ Roll into a small cone and place on top feather shape, repeat for other side. Continue pulling off balls of clay rolling into cones and placing on each feather shape. Each section should be a little smaller. As you add feathers gently press onto form and to the pieces next to it.
- Place head in center of wings. Allow to cure.
Video to make angel wings:
Adding Santa’s Hat and Beard:
- Cut 1″ of QW and divide into 2. Roll first piece into a long cone about 3 1/2″ long. Pat top of cone lightly with palm of hand, using extender if needed. Pick up piece and begin pushing in center and pulling up on sides. Lay fat end on top of of head and press into place.
- Roll the next piece for the beard into a 3 1/2″ cone. Pat top of cone lightly with palm of hand, using extender if needed. Pick up piece and begin pushing in center and pulling up on sides. Place on face making sure there is enough room for the mustache and pull sides up to edges of hat.
- Mix up a sliver of QW for the hat band. Roll into a coil about 1 1/2″ long, flatten slightly and lay across top of hat, lift slightly in center.
- Fold hat over and then begin shaping up and down leaving the tip bend upward so that you can add the ball later.
- Pull beard back up and have it curl up and down. Have tail of hat and tip of beard connect together. Allow to cure
Video for adding Hat and Beard:
Creating Tree for Snowman:
- Cut 1/4″ QW and flatten, using the star cutters (Hobby Lobby) cut the largest star, remix clay, flatten and cut out medium star, then remix extra and flatten and cut small star. Allow to sit about 5 minutes to stiffen.
- Lay largest star flat and push pointy end of toothpick under star and out top. Lay medium star on top of large star. Push tooth pick through bottom of small star and then out top. Using a small piece of clay place one of the other stars we cut out earlier on top of tree. Add any additional small stars and let cure.
Video for making Snowman Tree:
Snowman Ear muffs and collar:
- Cut 1/4″ of QW and pull off two balls about 1/4″ each or slightly larger. Cut piece of wire about 2″ long and shape into arch that will go over his head. If needed trim. Place balls for muffs on each side of his head. Slid wire into each muff.
- Roll rest of the clay into a coil about 1″ long and then lay at the bottom of his head to make collar. Use exacto knife and cut ribs in collar. Allow to cure.
Video for adding ear muffs and collar on snowman:
Adding Angel Halo, Hair and Flower
- Cut piece of wire about 4″ long and wrap around something that would be the desired size of the halo. Fasten ends together and fold over.
- Cut 1/8″ of QW and divide in two. Divide one of the pieces in two again and use one of the pieces to attach the halo to the back.
- Using the larger of the two remaining pieces pull off a little piece of and make a small ball. Attach at top of head for hair. Repeat until you have the desired amount of hair. Press tip of tool or pencil in center of each ball to form curl.
- Divide remaining piece in half and then divide one piece in half again and roll pieces into small cones and flatten to make leaves. Place at the bottom of the collar and use tool to press in center vein.
- Roll remaining piece into a coil about 1″ long and flatten. Wait about 5 minute. Pick up and begin rolling at one end to form center, then begin pressing and pleating bottom to form outer petals. Attach to leaves. Allow to cure.
Video for adding halo, hair and flower to angel:
Finishing our Pins:
- Cut 1/8″ of QW and pull off two small pieces for eyebrows for Santa. Roll into small cones and attach to edges of hat. Pull off two 1/4″ balls for the mustache and roll each into a cone about 1/2″ one. Lay in place and press gently in center. Lift ends up. Pull off 1/4″ ball of clay for ball on hat and press in place. Pull off small piece of QW and place on back of small star and then attach to hat.
- For snowman pull off 3/8″ of QW and place on tree and position snowman on top. Use small piece of clay and place small star on top of tree.
- To attach star to angel halo put a drop of Super Glue Gel to black of star and attach to halo. Add a small piece of clay on the back. Clean off any excess clay using one of your tools.
- Allow pieces to cure and then they are ready to paint.
Video for finishing projects: