Since Memorial Day is the official start of picnic season I thought I would share with you my favorite potato salad recipe which is from “The Perfect Recipe” by Pam Anderson. I would highly recommend this cookbook.
To hard boil the eggs place them in a single layer in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for five minutes, then put the lid on the pan, turn off stove, and let sit on burner for 5 more minutes. Pour off water, roll eggs in pan to crack shells and then cover with cold water. Begin peeling starting at the wide end. I usually pour off water, give the eggs another roll and add more water a few times as I am peeling the eggs. Rinse eggs, allow to cool and dice.
I like to leave the skins on my potatoes so I scrub them with a vegetable brush and cut off any ugly marks. Then dice, cover with water and boil until they are just done, don’t over cook. Drain the water
This is the secret that makes the salad so yummy: while the potatoes are still hot layer them into your container and sprinkle with the vinegar, salt and pepper (see recipe below.) Then mix in remaining ingredients and refrigerate. (I am not a big pickle person, so I don’t add the pickle). Stir before serving and adjust the ingredients if needed.
Now all you have to do is enjoy.
I hope you have an enjoyable and safe holiday season.
PS. Another great picnic salad is my Bean Salad
American-Style Potato Salad with Eggs and Sweet Pickles Printable Recipe of Potato Salad (PDF)
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 pounds Red Bliss or new potatoes, boiled, peeled if desired, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 boiled eggs, cut into small dice
- 2-3 scallions, sliced thin (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small celery stalk, cut into small dice (about 1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup sweet pickle (not relish), cut into small dice
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
1. Layer warm potato cubes in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with vinegar, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
2. Mix in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Adjust seasonings and serve chilled.